J Neils Group Photo

Pictured above is a group that includes my grandfather, Stanley "Stu" Reedy, in J Neils #6 Libby Montana. The gentleman in the cab of #6 are Victor Albertini, Stu Reedy and Phil Myron. Standing on the ground are Walter Neils, Bernhard Schlumm, and George Neils.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

My Modified Atlas Turntable

The prototype gallows I was shooting for........



.....but with a covered pit like this prototype in Revelstoke B.C. Canada. Covered pits, admittedly rare were used in areas of heavy snowfall. The area I'm modeling is in a snow belt, I don't have a problem with using a covered pit turntable. The reality is if my little branch ever existed it would have most likely used a wye.


 The basic good old reliable Atlas Turntable, about $30.00


Picked up some Bass Wood at Hobby Lobby and stained it to my liking. I also picked up some welding wire at work to use for the cables. I still need to install the bolt washer assembly's.





Next I installed the planking over the TT, I used an awl to punch the lumber and an Xacto knife to scribe across the grain. Once I stain the wood these will simulate nail heads and joints. Click on the pictures to view theses details better.




I'm still trying to decide how to finish the edge of the TT. I could carefully ballast, hoping none get into the drive mechanism, or I could cover it with wide strip wood,as in more boards around the edges to protect to TT and pit underneath. More to come when I complete it.

UPDATE JUNE 4, 2011


Okay I decide to bring the ground cover up to the edge of the turntable.(it took me long enough eh?) After the ground cover had dried (white glue/water) I removed the rotating portion of the turn table a vacuumed up the loose debris. I will add more details to cover the rough areas. It's doesn't have the reddish tint in person, it's my room lighting.




Site Meter

3 comments:

  1. Very nice! Have you considered taking a photo of your wood planks, printing it out on adhesive-backed sticker paper and using that to cover the center section, so it all has the same look?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Yes I need to complete it, not only the center section but I would also like to add nwb's.
    Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful and creative work! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete