J Neils Group Photo

Pictured above is a group that includes my grandfather, Stanley "Stu" Reedy, in J Neils #6 Libby Montana. The gentleman in the cab of #6 are Victor Albertini, Stu Reedy and Phil Myron. Standing on the ground are Walter Neils, Bernhard Schlumm, and George Neils.

Monday, January 16, 2012

Installing sound into the Boxcab

Ever since I seen Tim Warris's Boxcab video on his CNJ Bronx Terminal Layout,  I have had the desire to add sound to my MDC Boxcab/Bachmann 44 ton diesel electric locomotive. If you watch Tim's video, I promise the bug will bite you as well, so consider yourself warned! Tim has a brass boxcab of unknown origin, and he chose a QSI decoder for his boxcab.

EDIT: I used .75" spealers with matching enclosures.
Yes they were indeed installed facing up, no holes were drilled, it's simply not required to obtain adequate sound. The sound bounces back and is transmitted throughout the shell. 
I acquired the speakers from Gary at Traintek, the link is below.



Its is also good place for other items, like decoders, heat shrink and kapton tape. 



For my hybrid loco, which is really a Bachmann 44 ton chassis, I chose a Tsunami TSU-750 decoder and 2 Soundtraxx speakers. The decoder is set up with GE Cummins diesel sound for now, I will research to find out which will be the best prototype sound. But for now, pictures, and video to arrive soon!






3 comments:

  1. I read your posts diligently, being a longtime box cab fan. As a kid growing up in the Bronx I watched the prototype Erie 1000 switch the real Bronx terminal. So I was inspired by your work. Bought a Bachmann 44-tonner and found some unused MDC shells on eBay. Will do your conversion soon, then try installing sound. (This is new to me. I was a model railroader from childhood until 1978. Starring out again with a switching layout, as cancer has limited my activities with my beloved 1936 Cord.)

    Thanks for posting all this good stuff. Just bought a Bachmann 3 truck Climax, so I guess I'm a "gearhead" now too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have any more info on this sound install? What size speakers did you use? It appears the speakers are installed facing up. Did you drill holes in the top of the box cab to allow the sound out? Any more detailed info would be helpful. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keith
    I used .75" spealers with matching enclosures.
    Yes they were indeed installed facing up, no holes were drilled, it's simply not required to obtain adequate sound. The sound bounces back and is transmitted throughout the shell.
    I acquired the speakers from Gary at Traintek, the link is below.

    http://www.traintekllc.com/075-20mm-Round-8-Ohm-Speaker/productinfo/SPKR75/

    http://www.traintekllc.com/075-Round-Speaker-Enclosure/productinfo/SPKREN75/

    Its is also good place for other items, like decoders, heat shrink and kapton tape.

    He will also help customers with support and questions.

    Dean

    ReplyDelete