J Neils Group Photo

Pictured above is a group that includes my grandfather, Stanley "Stu" Reedy, in J Neils #6 Libby Montana. The gentleman in the cab of #6 are Victor Albertini, Stu Reedy and Phil Myron. Standing on the ground are Walter Neils, Bernhard Schlumm, and George Neils.

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Bachmann Spectrum Shay Disassembly


Disclaimer-These instructions are to disassemble the loco down to the chassis and motor. Cab and Boiler will be removed.
(I actually had a complaint that these instructions were not correct as I didn't exactly explain what screws held what) 
I offered to refund his money. (smile)


Remove the tender assembly.


Remove the truck screws.


Remove (3) screws that hold the ashpan/(1 of these holds the cab)


Separate the ash pan / motor assembly from the main frame.


The ash pan and shay motor / cylinder / crankshaft assembly.


A good view of how the electric motor and worm gears mesh with the ash pan assembly.


Pay attention to the electrical wire routing, they actually are sandwiched between the ash pan and the main frame.


To remove the tender, remove these two screws.


To remove the cab and boiler assemble, remove these (2) phillips screws.....


.....and pry up the front electrical from the truck mounting post to expose the front boiler screw, remove.

CAREFULLY separate the cab / boiler assembly from the chassis. Here you are.

9 comments:

  1. I am glad that you posted these photos and notes. I was having trouble finding out how trhe boiler came off. Thanks, Elmer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elmer
    Thanks for the comment. Tell your friends
    Dean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can tell me how to change a light bulb on headlight?

      Delete
    2. Hi, sorry I haven't made the attempt to replace one. I do know the wires feed in through the boiler (last picture above) put to actually get access to the build I ahave not attempted it, sorry!
      Dean

      Delete
  3. The nose cap comes off allowing access to the headlight. Doing one as I write this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have removed the 3 screws in the ashpan. Also removed screw on frame holding the cab on. Ashpan wiggles 1/64 inch only. It appears something near the 3 cylinders is preventing ashpan from separating from frame. Anyone have any experience like this in removing the ashpan? Thanks for any help, dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this. My On30 shay ran rough and only after taking apart and lubing every individual gear did it run well. I was hoping to do the same with this HO one. It runs okay, but not good enough! So thanks for these instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting. Those photos and comments are what I posted on a model railroad forum many years ago. I'm glad they're still around.

    ReplyDelete